The Southwest Charter School students created and illustrated timelines of the history of the Willamette Shore Line and voted for their favorite. Download the timeline (343K PDF)
Find out about the Willamette Shore Line right of way, opened in 1887 and purchased in 1988 by a consortium of local jurisdictions and agencies.
The Willamette Shore Line began railroad service in 1887, running passenger service until 1929 when it converted to exclusively freight service. The right of way for the Willamette Shore Line was purchased from the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1988 by a consortium of local jurisdictions and agencies including Metro, the cities of Lake Oswego and Portland, Clackamas and Multnomah counties, the Oregon Department of Transportation and TriMet. TriMet holds the title to the right of way on behalf of the consortium.
Since 1990, the City of Lake Oswego has leased the right of way from Portland for the purpose of operating a trolley service on the line. The trolley is operated by the Oregon Electric Railroad Historic Society.
For information about the historic trolley service, call the Oregon Electric Railway Historical Society at 503-697-7436 or visit the Willamette Shore Trolley site.
Visit the Willamette Shore Trolley site