Jog or bike across the spectacular new bridge on the Rock Creek Trail, where you can watch great blue herons in the wetlands below. Explore the nature play area for children or search for deer and raptors in the oak savanna and upland forest. More than a century ago, the park was part of the Oregon Nursery Company, the largest nursery on the west coast and best known for Orenco apples. Metro and the City of Hillsboro later purchased the site, restored habitat along Rock Creek, and built new bridges and other improvements to welcome visitors.
See and do
- Hike the park’s trails.
- Explore the nature play area for children.
- Eat a picnic in the shelter.
- Look for great blue heron, beavers and more along Rock Creek and the wetlands.
- Ride your bike along the Rock Creek Trail, a regional trail that runs through the park.
- Watch for red-tailed hawk, black-tailed deer and other wildlife.
- Enjoy a picnic.
- Share your time and make a difference at Metro parks by volunteering.
Know when you go
- Orenco Woods is open from sunrise to sunset.
- The park has restrooms and a picnic area.
- Parts of the park are wheelchair accessible, including the Rock Creek Trail. Other trails at the park are made of compacted crushed gravel, which is firm and stable, though portions of some trails exceed 5 percent slope.
- Typically, dogs and other pets are not allowed at Metro parks and natural areas to protect sensitive habitat. Metro is making an exception by allowing pets on the Rock Creek Trail at Orenco Woods because it is a designated regional trail. Pets must be on-leash at all times and are not allowed anywhere else at the park.
- Hunting is not allowed.
- Drones, model planes, model boats and other remote-controlled vehicles are not allowed.
- Geocaching is allowed with guidelines.
- Hillsboro Parks & Recreation Department provides day-to-day management.
The City of Hillsboro renamed streets in the area in mid-January 2017. After the renaming, Orenco Woods Nature Park is located at 7100 NE Birch St. The street address might not show up correctly right away on Google Maps or MapQuest, so please refer to the map below or follow these GPS coordinates on Google Maps.