Newell Creek Canyon Nature Park opens on Monday, Dec. 6.
Explore tree-lined paths with breathtaking views of creeks and falls, or enjoy mountain biking along the dedicated trails. The picnic area – canopied by bigleaf maple – is accessible and close to restrooms and parking. If you’re watching for wildlife, you might see beavers, red fox and black-tailed deer, along with pileated woodpeckers and cottontail rabbits.
See and do
- Stroll through a mossy forest full of bigleaf maples and giant western redcedars.
- Use the dedicated mountain biking trails, which feature easier paths for kids and beginners.
- Enjoy a picnic in the accessible day-use area.
- View the Boring lavas and the cemented sands and gravels that help make up the unique topography of the park.
- See all kinds of wildlife in and around creeks, in trees and along the forest floor.
Know when you go
- Open sunrise to sunset.
- Parking, restrooms and the picnic area are wheelchair accessible.
- Dogs and other pets are not allowed, because they can damage sensitive habitat and threaten wildlife.
- Smoking and vaping are not allowed.
- Hunting is not allowed.
- Drones, model planes, model boats and other remote-controlled vehicles are not allowed.
- During inclement weather, please check oregonmetro.gov/parks for information about any closures.
Off-road bike rules
For visitor safety and to protect sensitive habitat, please observe the following:
- Shared use trails: Bicycles yield to pedestrians.
- Ride responsibly at your own risk and ability. Monitor your speed.
- Ride carefully. Trails are often crowded.
- Helmets and other protective equipment are recommended for all, and required for riders under age 16 per Oregon law.
- Stay on the trails. Do not alter any park trails or features. This helps protect sensitive habitat.
- Bike trail difficulty ratings are based on the IMBA Trail Difficulty Rating System.
- Trails are subject to changes in condition due to weather and other impacts.
- Please stay off the trails following heavy rain events. If you leave a boot or tire track, don’t use the trails.