Businesses are working for a cleaner, greener future by recycling
The Recycle at Work program provides free, customized assistance to all types of businesses throughout greater Portland.
- Identify items that can be recycled.
- Set up recycling service or work with your custodial staff.
- Form a "green team" to motivate co-workers.
- Get tips on reducing waste and purchasing sustainable products.
- Earn recognition for your recycling success.
- Get training and educational materials for your employees.
Encouraging regional recycling
All kinds of businesses throughout greater Portland are doing their part for the environment by recycling at work. But, during an average year, businesses still send more than 100,000 tons of recyclable paper and containers to local landfills.
To encourage more recycling, Metro adopted Business Recycling Requirements. Each jurisdiction is working to implement these requirements. In general, businesses are asked to:
- Recycle paper, cardboard and containers (aluminum cans, plastic bottles and glass).
- Ensure there are containers for collection of these recyclables.
- Post signs at collection areas, indicating which materials should be recycled.
Get a free waste review
Waste reduction specialists with local jurisdictions can help you meet these requirements by setting up a free, customized program in your workplace.
To schedule a free waste review, call Metro at 503-234-3000.
Reducing food waste
Waste reduction specialists can also provide support to food service businesses who will be required beginning in March 2020 to separate their food scraps from other garbage. Smaller food service businesses will be phased in over the following three years.
City of Beaverton
City of Gresham
City of Portland
Recycle at Work is brought to you in partnership by Metro, City of Beaverton, City of Gresham, City of Wood Village, City of Portland, Clackamas County and Washington County.