General recipes for any room
- Pour pure vanilla on a cotton ball in a saucer. (This can even remove skunk odors.)
- Simmer cinnamon and cloves in pot of water without a lid.
- Set out an open dish of vinegar, baking soda, cut lemons or herbs.
Cooking odors: Boil 1 tablespoon of white distilled vinegar in 1 cup of water.
Bathroom: Mix 10 to 20 drops of essential oil into a 1-pound box of baking soda. Place open box under sink or near toilet. Add more essential oil as needed and replace baking soda every three months.
Carpet odor: Sprinkle baking soda over the entire carpet to absorb smoking, cooking and pet odors. Leave on for one hour or overnight if possible. Vacuum up.
Option 1: Spread a baking soda paste and let stand 15 minutes to remove onion or garlic odors.
Option 2: Rub cut lemon onto the washed cutting board.
Refrigerator: Leave an open box of baking soda in the fridge. Replace every three months.
Sink garbage disposal
Option 1: Grind up used lemons.
- Pour 1/2 cup baking soda down the drain.
- Pour 1/2 cup vinegar down the drain and immediately cover (to create pressure) and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Pour a full kettle of boiling water down the drain.
Garbage bin or diaper pail: Mix 1 cup baking soda with 1 teaspoon tea tree or other essential oil. Crush up all lumps with a fork. Sprinkle in bottom of pail after liner is removed. Periodically rinse pail with vinegar and dry in the sun.