Applications for the 2020 Investment and Innovation program grant cycle are open from July 29 to Sept. 30, 2020. There will be no capital grant cycle in 2020.
A virtual information session was held on Monday, Aug. 10.
Watch the webinar
Virtual office hours with Metro staff will be available on Monday, Aug. 24 between 9 a.m. and noon.
Office hours registration
To be added to the list to receive updates by email, contact [email protected].
Oregon has a long history of leadership when it comes to preventing waste and promoting recycling. Metro is in a unique position to invest in and support innovation in the local reuse and recycling economy and help businesses and communities succeed.
In December 2017, the Metro Council created the Investment and Innovation grant program to support for-profit businesses and nonprofit organizations involved in reducing waste through repairing, reusing, recycling, composting or making energy from the stuff that is discarded in the greater Portland area.
The main goal of the program is to strengthen local efforts to reduce waste, make better use of the waste that is produced and help foster economic opportunities for people who have historically been left out of the benefits of the garbage and recycling system, particularly communities of color.
- Offers grants to for-profit businesses and nonprofit organizations involved in reducing, reusing, recycling, composting or recovering energy from materials that may otherwise be discarded as waste.
- Focuses on strengthening the reuse, repair and recycling systems in greater Portland, as well as reducing environmental and health impacts in the local manufacturing and use of products.
- Helps achieve the goals of the 2030 Regional Waste Plan, the blueprint for improving the garbage and recycling system in greater Portland.
- Advances Metro’s diversity, equity and inclusion efforts by investing in projects that benefit communities and workers in the garbage and recycling system, and increases access for historically underserved residents.
- Awards grants through a competitive solicitation process and recommendations by a review committee.
- Produces annual reports on the program’s activities with a full program review at the end of the first three years.
2020 Investment and Innovation program grants
Metro will accept applications from July 29 to Sept. 30 for grants between $10,000 and $50,000. Program grant funds can be used to support personnel costs, operations and equipment. The proposal handbook includes detailed information about eligibility, proposal requirements and the review process.
Due to financial impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Investment and Innovation program will not accept capital grant proposals in the 2020 grant cycle.
Previous grant cycles
In 2018, Metro awarded nearly $2.5 million to 14 local businesses and nonprofit organizations to reduce waste in greater Portland and help generate more benefits from the area’s garbage and recycling system. Metro’s funding was matched by nearly $2.4 million in other cash or in-kind support.
2018-19 Investment and Innovation grants
In 2019, Metro awarded 17 Investment and Innovation grants totaling over $6 million to local businesses and nonprofit organizations in greater Portland. Metro’s funding will be matched by nearly $7 million in other cash or in-kind support provided by the grant recipients.
2019-20 Investment and Innovation capital grants
2019-20 Investment and Innovation program grants