We know the Portland metropolitan region is stronger when we all have options for safe, quality, affordable housing with access to jobs, school, services and amenities to help preserve our region’s economic competitiveness and quality of life.
Regional affordable housing funding
The Metro Council is considering a potential regional affordable housing measure in 2018. Learn more about engagement, advisory tables and decision-making around this issue.
The Equitable Housing Initiative
Through the Equitable Housing Initiative, Metro is committed to working with partners across the region to find opportunities for innovative approaches and policies that result in more people being able to find a home that meets their needs and income levels. This work includes:
- develop a shared understanding among elected officials, jurisdictional staff, developers, funders and stakeholders regarding best practices, needs and opportunities for collaboration.
- develop and provide technical assistance to support local implementation of best practices to overcome barriers to equitable housing development.
- evaluate the feasibility of collaborative approaches and pursue partnerships opportunities to support capacity building, policy and resource development, and research to advance regional equitable housing efforts.
Report: Opportunities and challenges for equitable housing
In January 2016, Metro released a report exploring the nature of the region's housing challenge and providing a four-part strategic framework to respond. Local partners are working to implement strategies in the framework that include:
- maximize and optimize resources
- leverage growth for affordablity
- mitigate displacement and stabilize communities
- increase and diversify market-rate housing.
Read the full report
2016 housing summit
Leaders and staff from Portland-area government, nonprofits, developers, other businesses, labor and the philanthropic sector discussed the report's findings and recommended next steps at a summit on Feb. 1, 2016. Read a recap and watch a video of the summit
Equitable housing grants
On Dec. 1, 2016, the Metro Council awarded $575,000 in grants to help seven communities around the region eliminate barriers to developing equitable housing. These grants were a subset of Metro's community planning and development grant program. Learn more