Non-toxic solutions to cockroach control and prevention.
- Cleanliness is essential. Clean up food particles and avoid leaving your pet's food out for extended periods. Remove newspapers, garbage bags and other clutter that roaches hide under.
- Check used appliances before you bring them into your home to make sure there aren't any stowaways.
- Plug or caulk cracks and holes.
- Remove sources of water. Fix leaky faucets and sink plumbing. Replace any damp wood.
- Roach traps and "hotels" are safest. Traps should be placed against walls for maximum effectiveness.
- Silica dust sprinkled in cracks kills roaches by drying them out.
- Sprinkle a boric acid product under appliances and in nooks and crannies in affected areas. Boric acid is moderately toxic. Place it only where it is inaccessible to children or pets.