The 2023 Regional Transportation Plan will include an updated list of transportation investment priorities for the greater Portland region for the next 20 years. This list will include investments such as transit, sidewalk, bridge, bikeway and roadway projects as well as transit service and road maintenance and operations. Among these projects, some will be prioritized for funding within the next seven years, by 2030.
Building the project list
Cities, counties and other transportation providers work together through coordinating committees to prioritize projects. The City of Portland, the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT), the Port of Portland, TriMet and SMART work individually to develop priority project lists. All projects submitted to the Regional Transportation Plan should come from adopted plans or strategies that had opportunities for public input.
Many of the investments in the 2018 Regional Transportation Plan will be updated and carried forward into the 2023 plan. The 2023 plan is also an opportunity to identify new priority projects. To learn about the projects in the current 2018 plan, the project lists are available in a map as well as a spreadsheet and are described in Chapter 6 of the 2018 plan.
Information and resources about the 2023 Regional Transportation Plan call for projects are available at the bottom of this page.
Additionally, the Regional Transportation Plan map tool shows project information from the 2018 Regional Transportation Plan in an interactive map that includes other relevant data. Customize the map to show the infromation and areas of interest.
Other resources to support the call for projects include:
Project list process and timeline
January 2023 to February 2023
- Metro releases the call for projects on January 6
- County Coordinating Committees, the City of Portland, ODOT, the Port of Portland, TriMet and SMART submit draft project lists to Metro by February 17
March 2023 to June 2023
- Metro conducts outcomes-based technical analysis of the draft project list and system performance
- Engage members of the public and policy makers on the draft project list
- Feedback and analyses considered by decision-makers and project agencies
- Metro works with technical and policy advisory committees and Metro Council to develop the 2023 RTP Public Draft Plan, including policies, the financial plan and future planning work
July 2023 to August 2023
- 45-day public comment period on the Public Review Draft 2023 Regional Transportation plan
September 2023 - November 2023
- 2023 Regional Transportation Plan adoption process