Dissolve 2 tablespoons baking soda and 2 tablespoons laundry detergent powder in 1 gallon warm water. Stronger solutions can remove some of the paint. Always rinse off.
Test in a small area first. Gloss or semigloss enamels are less likely to be damaged by cleaning than flat latex paint.
- Before washing, dust or vacuum walls to remove loose dirt.
- Use one bucket for the washing solution and one for rinsing, and a large cellulose sponge for each bucket.
- Wear rubber gloves.
- Start washing at the bottom and work up, so cleaning solution does not run down the dirty wall and cause streaks that are hard to remove.
- Rub gently to avoid damage to paint.
- Dry off excess moisture with a soft absorbent cloth or towel.