The Regional Waste Advisory Committee advises the Metro Council on implementation of the 2030 Regional Waste Plan, which addresses:
- a garbage and recycling system that serves 1.5 million residents and businesses in greater Portland (Clackamas, Washington and Multnomah counties) and represents $280 million in local economic activity
- the environmental and health impacts of the products our region makes, uses and discards
- inequities in the system services, impacts and benefits experienced by communities of color and other historically marginalized groups.
The responsibilities of the committee will be to:
- provide input on legislative and administrative actions that the Metro Council or chief operating officer will consider related to implementing the 2030 Regional Waste Plan
- provide input to staff on development of policies, programs and projects to implement actions in the plan
- review and provide input on the region’s effectiveness in implementing the plan.
On September 26, 2019 the Metro Council confirmed the following individuals for a two-year term on the Regional Waste Advisory Committee:
Alondra Flores Aviña
Beth Vargas Duncan