Metro needs you
Are you passionate about working to advance racial equity throughout greater Portland? CORE accepts applications on an ongoing basis; new members are appointed by Metro Council each November.
Metro's Committee on Racial Equity brings together a diverse group of community advocates to advise Metro Council on strategies to advance racial equity across Metro's work areas. Specifically, the committee supports Council by:
- Advising on and evaluating the implementation of the Strategic Plan to Advance Racial, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Providing community oversight and opportunities for Metro to have greater accountability to the community on the implementation of the Strategic Plan and its commitments to racial equity
- Maintaining relationships and building trust with communities of color
- Providing a concrete mechanism for keeping Metro accountable to its racial equity goals
- Communicating Metro’s progress in implementing the Strategic Plan and other racial equity strategies.
The Metro Council appointed the first 15 members of CORE in the Spring of 2017. The CORE members bring a number of demonstrated characteristics:
- A commitment to racial equity, social and environmental justice, diversity and inclusion
- The ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse perspectives and experiences
- Connections with local historically marginalized communities
- Experience, skills and knowledge in policy development, evaluation, local government and/or public sector partnerships, procurement, human resources, public participation, service design and delivery, research, education or business
- The ability to represent the geographic and demographic diversity of the region.
CORE members are appointed to a two-year term. They are eligible to be reappointed to a second term.
Meet the current members of CORE