The Lone Fir story
Lone Fir’s first occupant was Emmor Stephens. His burial took place in 1846 in what was then privately owned land in a rural setting. The land was later platted as Mount Crawford Cemetery in 1855. Back then Portland existed only on the west side of the river. Because of marshy ground, the city closed graveyards at Ankeny and Front, Washington and Stark at 10th, and Burnside at 11th. Many bodies were then reinterred at Mount Crawford.
Mount Crawford was renamed Lone Fir in 1866, for the once solitary tree in its northwest corner. (It’s still standing.) Lone Fir is one of Portland’s oldest continuously used cemeteries and is now a de facto arboretum, with more than 700 trees representing 67 species. Twenty-five thousand people are buried here.
Chestnut Grove Memorial Garden opened within Lone Fir in 2013 to provide an option for the increasing number of people who choose to be cremated.
During inclement weather, please check oregonmetro.gov/cemeteries for information about any closures.
Reclaiming history at Block 14
At Lone Fir, a transformation is taking shape in the corner of the cemetery near the intersection of Southeast 20th Avenue and Southeast Morrison Street: a cultural heritage and healing garden to honor Chinese immigrants buried there, as well as patients from a nearby mental hospital.
Read more about the ongoing project