Small Business Open House Feb. 15
Come mingle wtih Metro and Multnomah County staff at the annual open house event. Meet project managers from both agencies, learn about opportunities, and how to business with government.
The open house will include an in-person session at the Oregon Convention Center from 10 a.m. to noon, followed by an online session from 1 to 2 p.m. Attend either or both sessions. Registration is required.
Metro’s contracting and procurement practices are governed by the State of Oregon’s Public Contracting Code and Metro administrative rules.
View Metro's administrative rules for procurement
Contracts are awarded through open, competitive bidding, in full compliance with all applicable regulations.
Common contracts include:
- construction and maintenance
- architecture and engineering
- forestry and landscaping
- foodservice and supplies
- professional, technical and scientific services
- goods, manufacturing and supplies
Intermediate solicitations for purchases and contracts over $10,000 and under $150,000
These solicitations require contacting at least three firms to provide written quotes, bids or proposals. Metro must also offer these contracting opportunities to women-, minority-, service-disabled veteran-business enterprises, or emerging small businesses. These request for quotes, request for bids and requests for proposals are posted to Bid Locker.
Formal solicitations are required for purchases and contracts of $150,000 or more
Invitations to bid and requests for proposals are publicly advertised in local papers and posted to Bid Locker.
For a quote or bid, Metro must award the contract to the lowest responsive and responsible bidder. For a proposal, Metro awards the contract to the proposer submitting the highest ranked proposal, with cost being one of the criteria considered.
To become a vendor with Metro:
- Maintain legal aspects of business to enter into contracts and contracts and transact business in the state of Oregon.
- Demonstrate compliance with Metro’s Equal Employment and Nondiscrimination Clause, as outlined in solicitation documents.
- Register with Bid Locker.
- Get COBID certified as a minority-owned business, woman-owned business, service disabled veteran-owned business, or emerging small business.
- Attend Metro’s annual Small Business Open House event in February.
- Scan the Portland Business Tribune and various community newspapers for Metro bid opportunities.
- Network with small business associations such as Oregon Association of Minority Entrepreneurs, Business Diversity Institute and others.
How to avoid quote, bid or proposal rejection
- Submit quotes and bids prior to the solicitation closing date and time. This requirement is strictly enforced.
- Be a responsive, responsible bidder or proposer.
- Make sure your bid and proposal documents are complete and contain all requirements and information, including any forms requested in the solicitation document.
- Double check your documents before submitting.
Bids and quotes for goods should be submitted on a freight on board basis: suppliers own goods while in transit and are responsible for loss or damages prior to delivery. Prices offered must include all shipping and handling, with goods becoming the property of Metro upon acceptance of delivery.
Metro pays invoices on a net 30 day basis and welcomes discount terms. Learn more
Sample contract templates
Used for ongoing purchases for a given period where unit prices are in effect or for a single item purchase with no accompanying services.
Includes trade-type services such as landscape, plumbing and electrical work and personal services like consulting, training, and professional services.
Goods and services
Includes goods and related services.
Used for public improvements, including major construction, reconstruction or renovation of Metro’s property. Includes general conditions that guide the project.
Metro's identity theft prevention program
The Federal Trade Commission requires businesses to have an identity theft program in place to protect charge account customers.