Metro's Committee on Racial Equity brings together a diverse group of community advocates to advise Metro Council on strategies to advance racial equity across Metro's work areas. Specifically, the committee supports Council by:
- Advising on and evaluating the implementation of the Strategic Plan to Advance Racial, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Providing community oversight and opportunities for Metro to have greater accountability to the community on the implementation of the Strategic Plan and its commitments to racial equity
- Maintaining relationships and building trust with communities of color
- Providing a concrete mechanism for keeping Metro accountable to its racial equity goals
- Communicating Metro’s progress in implementing the Strategic Plan and other racial equity strategies.
CORE has established subcommittees to create an opportunity for a deeper level of engagement between committee members and staff. The subcommittee structure will allow CORE members to be in dialogue with staff, contribute diverse expertise to Metro efforts and influence the work while it is happening. The subcommittees will also support CORE in its role in monitoring the progress and implementation of the Strategic Plan to Advance Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Subcommittee meetings will occur several times a year and will take the place of full committee meetings at the regularly scheduled date and time on the third Thursday of every month.
CORE has established three subcommittees:
Engages with projects and initiatives that are advancing the Strategic Plan goals that focus on Metro as an employer that hires, retains, and promotes a diverse workforce.
Engages in projects and programs that are advancing Strategic Plan goals that focus on ensuring equitable access to the services, resources, and experiences Metro provides to community members across the region.
Equity metrics subcommittee
Engages with the development of metrics that assess Metro’s progress in implementing the Strategic Plan and other racial equity initiatives. This subcommittee is currently participating in an internal training on the results based accountability methodology.
As of January 2024, the following individuals have been confirmed by Metro Council to the Committee on Racial Equity:
- Abrahan Vega
- Chloe Rodrigues
- Jamila Dozier
- Jeremy Thomas
- Joseph Sullivan
- Keisha Brewster
- Leialoha Kaula
- Marcia Perez
- Nabin Dhimal
- Quintin Kinnard
- Rebecca Descombes
- Rebecca Rodas
- Saerom Yoo
- Temmecha Turner
- Wade Hopkins
Metro and MERC Liaisons
- Duncan Hwang, Metro Council liaison
- Mary Nolan, Metro Council liaison
- Dañel Malán, Metropolitan Exposition and Recreation Council (MERC) liaison