If you’re passionate about equity, health and the environment, there’s a chance for you to serve your community by joining the Metro Council’s Regional Waste Advisory Committee. This new advisory body will help guide implementation of the 2030 Regional Waste Plan, which addresses:
- a garbage and recycling system that serves 1.5 million residents and businesses in greater Portland (Clackamas, Washington and Multnomah counties) and represents $280 million in local economic activity
- the environmental and health impacts of the products our region makes, uses and discards
- inequities in the system services, impacts and benefits experienced by communities of color and other historically marginalized groups.
The responsibilities of this new Regional Waste Advisory Committee will be to:
- provide input on legislative and administrative actions that the Metro Council or Chief Operating Officer will consider related to implementing the 2030 Regional Waste Plan
- provide input to staff on development of policies, programs and projects to implement actions in the Plan
- review and provide input on the region’s effectiveness in implementing the Plan.
Available positions on the 13-member committee are:
- three spots for individuals representing the interests and needs of communities of color and other historically marginalized groups
- one for a user/customer of the region’s garbage and recycling system
- one for an environmental or health advocate.
The balance of the committee’s membership will consist of five local government staff, one solid waste industry representative, one employee of the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality and a Metro staff person as chair. The committee will meet for two hours every one to two months over a two-year term. Community members will be financially compensated for their time.
Community members are encouraged to apply to serve a two-year term on the committee by completing and submitting the form below by Aug. 9, 2019. After reviewing the applications, Metro Council President Lynn Peterson will appoint the members, subject to confirmation by the full Metro Council in September.
Please contact Matt Korot with any questions about the committee or the nomination and appointment process at 503-797-1760 or [email protected].