In the mid-1920s people started building summer cottages on the banks of Blue Lake and the park was first established. Blue Lake Regional Park opened in 1928 as a family-run attraction with a dance hall, rides and swimming.
After purchasing the park in the early 1960s, Multnomah County removed the dance hall and rides, improved the rest of the facilities and reopened Blue Lake to the public.
Multnomah County transferred its parks to Metro in 1994, starting a new chapter for Blue Lake and its faithful visitors. Today, the park is one of the most popular in the collection of parks owned and managed by Metro and can accommodate around 1900 people in rental picnic shelters.