Join the committee
Metro is accepting applications for the Regional Waste Advisory Committee through June 30, 2021.
Available community positions on the 13-member Regional Waste Advisory Committee are:
- One position for an individual representing the interests and needs of communities of color and other historically marginalized groups
- One position for a user/customer of the region’s garbage and recycling system.
This advisory body helps guide implementation of the 2030 Regional Waste Plan, which addresses:
- A garbage and recycling system that serves 1.5 million residents and businesses in greater Portland (Clackamas, Washington and Multnomah counties) and represents $280 million in local economic activity
- The environmental and health impacts of the products our region makes, uses and discards
- Inequities in the system services, impacts and benefits experienced by communities of color and other historically marginalized groups.
The responsibilities of the Regional Waste Advisory Committee are to:
- Provide input on legislative and administrative actions that the Metro Council or chief operating officer will consider related to implementing the 2030 Regional Waste Plan
- Provide input to staff on development of policies, programs and projects to implement actions in the Plan
- Review and provide input on the region’s effectiveness in implementing the Plan.
The committee’s membership consists of five community members (three individuals representing interests of communities of color, one user of the solid waste system, and one environmental/health advocate), five local government staff, one solid waste industry representative, one employee of the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality and a Metro staff person as chair. Community members will be financially compensated for their time.
Community members are encouraged to apply to serve a two-year term on the committee by completing the online application form by June 30, 2021. After reviewing the applications, Metro Council President Lynn Peterson will appoint the members, subject to confirmation by the full Metro Council in September.
Please contact Casey Mellnik with any questions about the committee or the nomination and appointment process.