The purpose of the Toxics Reduction and Equity study was to explore disproportionate community health impacts that may be linked to chemicals found in consumer products, garbage and recycling.
Developed as part of the 2030 Regional Waste Plan, the study identifies opportunities for Metro and others to eliminate or reduce health and environmental impacts during a product's full life cycle. Actions identified to address the impacts of toxic chemicals on people and the environment, racism and other structural society inequities include:
- Continuation of cross-sector collaborations, policy, programs and research
- Development of paths toward broad systems change are identified
- Data collection from literature reviews and stakeholder interviews
- Descriptions of gaps in the regulatory framework
- Development of a proposed equity framework