2020 reservations closed until further notice
Reservations for picnic shelters open every year at midnight on Oct. 1 for the following calendar year.
To reserve a picnic shelter, please call 503-665-4995.
How to make a reservation
Take a look at the information below to see if this area fits your needs. Choose some possible dates for your event and call 503-665-4995 or email [email protected] to check availability.
Reservable picnic areas
Mount Talbert Nature Park has one picnic area available year-round. Reservations are required from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day (weekends and holidays). The picnic area:
- is located near the Mather Road trailhead
- is located near parking and restrooms
- accommodates up to 50 people (seats 24)
- includes use of three picnic tables (sheltered)
Picnics over 25 people require a reservation. The reservation fee is $135 on weekends and holidays, $50 on weekdays (8 a.m. to 7 p.m.).
- Water fountain is located nearby. There is no electricity at this site.
- Parking is available for 23 cars in the main lot. One ADA space and one bus space available.
- Stapled decorations or items that create a lot of litter are not allowed.
- Only propane grills can be used on the concrete surrounding the picnic shelter.
- Trash and recycling cans located onsite.
Beer and/or wine is allowed in designated areas by permit only.
Amplified music or public address systems
Amplified noise or music is not permitted. Only acoustic music is allowed.
Catering and amusement providers
You are welcome to have your picnic or event catered with the required permit. Catering vehicle may park next to the shelter. No amusement equipment is allowed. No balloons are allowed.
Learn more about catering guidelines
Set-up and clean-up
Rental fees cover the entire day, from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Time for set-up and clean-up must be included in that time. Set-up includes unloading of food, beverages, tents, tables, and chairs. Clean-up consists of picking up all litter and trash, and removing all decorations, equipment and supplies.
Sensitivity to wildlife
No pets are allowed because they can damage sensitive habitat and threaten wildlife.
Picnic reservation cancelation and refunds
You will receive a full refund:
- If you cancel your reservation 31 days or more before the reservation.
- If Metro closes the park on the day of the reservation.
You will not receive a refund if you cancel your reservation 30 days or less before the reserved date.
You may reschedule your reservation for a $20 change fee, if you do so at least 7 days before your event, depending on site availability. If you cancel after rescheduling, no refund will be given.