First round funding is open
Funding for the upcoming round of sponsorships is open and applications are now being accepted. Applications will be scored and awarded beginning July 1, 2019.
The Regional Travel Options program provides federal transportation funds to support initiatives that improve air quality, address community health issues and reduce auto congestion. Regional Travel Options sponsorships are designed to provide ancillary support to events, initiatives and programs, and provide Metro and partners with strategic marketing or outreach opportunities.
Sponsorships are awarded according to the following schedule:
- First round ($25,750 available): Applications for projects starting July 1st - Dec. 31st, 2019 will be scored in the order they are received until the end of 2019, or funds are depleted.
- Second round ($25,750 available): Applications for projects starting Jan. 1st – June 30th, 2020 will be scored in the order they are received beginning Jan. 1st, 2020 until the end of June 2019, or until funding is depleted.
The maximum sponsorship is $3,500.
Who is eligible?
Nonprofit organizations, local governments and educational institutions within the Metro boundary can request a sponsorship. Metro sponsorship funds cannot be used to support political committees or campaigns, lobbying or for services which extend beyond the Metro boundary.
What types of activities does RTO sponsor?
Metro Regional Travel Options sponsorships are restricted to materials, events and activities that promote travel options as a core function. RTO sponsorships funds are not eligible to support fundraising events. The following is a sample of recently sponsored programs:
- printing of maps or educational materials
- transportation safety tools, such as lights, helmets or bike locks
- light infrastructure, such as bike shelters, bike fix-it stations or bike parking
- Program incentives or challenge prizes
- Events that promote or educate residents about travel options ($2,500 limit)
How do I request sponsorship support?
Applications are accepted online. In order to spread limited sponsorship dollars across many deserving organizations, Metro RTO sponsors organizations only once per fiscal year (July to June). Applicants must apply no less than 60 days prior to the funding need. As applications may be denied if funding is no longer available, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
Program staff tries to respond within 15 business days to all requests. However, during periods of high volume of incoming sponsorship requests Metro prioritizes processing of requests for events and activities occurring soonest on the calendar.
What acknowledgement does Metro expect for sponsorship support?
The extent of acknowledgement should be commensurate with the level of the sponsorship. Metro may negotiate in consideration of the sponsorship level and benefits offered, but would like include inclusion of the Metro logo on promotional materials and/or booth space at a sponsored event.
Have a question or need further assistance?
To request a paper copy of the sponsorship request form or ask a question about Metro's RTO sponsorship program, contact [email protected].gov.