If you are looking for help paying your rent, please call 211.
What is the regional long-term rent assistance program?
The regional long-term rent assistance program (RLRA) provides a rent subsidy to qualified low-income tenants and allows private landlords in Clackamas, Multnomah and Washington counties to rent apartments and homes to these tenants at fair market rates. The program is similar to the federal Section 8 or Housing Choice Voucher program, but it is funded locally through a regional tax that was approved by voters in May 2020.
Benefits to landlords:
- Landlords receive market rate rents while providing low-income households with access to housing they can afford
- Landlords screen and select their own tenants
- Landlords use their own lease agreement, and program participants are accountable to the same lease terms as other tenants
- The program pays a portion of the rent directly to the landlord through guaranteed, on-time direct deposit payments, and the renter pays the difference
- Rent payments are guaranteed even when circumstances such as tenant job loss or family hardships occur
- A landlord guarantee is available to mitigate risks for participating landlords by covering eligible costs related to damages, legal costs and uncollected rent
- Many program participants are provided with case management and wraparound services to support their housing stability and lease compliance.
RLRA subsidies can be used in any rental property that meets housing quality standards and has a reasonable rent compared with similar units in the market. Rental properties must be located within the Metro jurisdictional boundary of Clackamas, Multnomah and Washington counties.
How is the RLRA program administered?
Clackamas, Multnomah and Washington counties each have their own RLRA programs that manage the rent assistance in accordance with regionally consistent policies. More detailed information about how the program works in a specific county and how to get involved can be found at each county's supportive housing services webpage: