The Regional Transportation Plan identifies current and future transportation needs in greater Portland. It is updated every five years. The plan prioritizes investment opportunities to meet those needs within the parameters of local, regional, state and federal transportation funds the region expects to have available.
The plan consists of:
- A long-term vision for the region’s transportation system
- Goals and performance targets that describe the outcomes the region wants to achieve and indicators to measure progress
- Policies that guide decisions and actions in pursuit of the vision and goals
- A financial plan that identifies how the region will pay for investments
- An investment strategy that includes major local, regional and state transportation investment priorities.
The policies in the plan guide the transportation agencies that design and manage roadways, transit and trails to meet the needs of the community. This guidance is informed by research, community input, technical analysis and Federal and State regulations. Policies and strategies in the plan address the many ways people in greater Portland get around across the diverse communities in the region.
The 2023 Regional Transportation Plan will build on the 2018 RTP to develop policies and strategies that address transportation needs and priorities in the region. The new and updated strategies in the 2023 RTP include:
The Regional Transportation Plan is a key tool for implementing these existing strategies: