Today Metro issued a new license for Grimm’s Fuel Company, a compost facility in Tualatin that accepts yard debris from homes and businesses across the greater Portland area.
In recent years, the Grimm’s facility has been the subject of numerous complaints from neighbors regarding odors, dust and other nuisance conditions at the facility. In 2017, Metro extended its license for the Grimm’s facility for one year to allow time to better understand and address various factors relating to Grimm’s operations.
Metro hired a consultant to evaluate the Grimm’s operation in 2018 and make recommendations on operational changes that would reduce odors and other negative impacts on the local community. Metro again extended the license to the end of February 2019 to allow the facility to continue operations while inviting additional public comment on revised license conditions that responded to community concerns during an earlier public comment period.
Under the terms of the new license, which takes effect March 1, Grimm’s will be required, among other activities, to:
- Limit the height of compost piles to no more than 25 feet by April 30, 2019, and no more than 14 feet by July 1, 2020
- Operate and maintain an aeration system for all active compost piles effective July 1, 2020
- Cover active aerobic composting piles
- Monitor and record oxygen and temperature levels and other monitoring parameters in compost piles
- Establish and implement a community engagement plan by the end of 2019
- Establish and implement a compost operator training plan including continuing education for its employees
Metro will conduct frequent unannounced inspections of the facility each year to ensure compliance with the terms of the license. Failure by Grimm’s management to comply with the requirements of the license can result in penalties including monetary fines, restrictions on quantities of incoming yard debris to manage, and reduced operating hours.
Metro will provide periodic updates on its website relating to Grimm’s progress in meeting the terms of its license.
The new license for Grimm’s will be in effect through Dec. 31, 2023.