There is a total of $61.25 million available for projects that will help make the region’s transportation system more equitable, safer, cleaner and more reliable. Of the $61.25 million, $20 million is dedicated to trail projects that will be funded through the 2019 Metro Parks and Nature bond measure. The remaining $41.25 million is Federal funding for investments that were identified in the 2018 Regional Transportation Plan.
Every three years, the region conducts a process to define and guide how these funds will be invested. This guidance – the 2025-2027 RFFA Program Direction – was adopted earlier in 2021 by the Joint Policy Advisory Committee on Transportation (JPACT) and Metro Council. The program direction establishes the criteria and process for selecting capital projects to receive this funding.
Applications for funding may be submitted on behalf of eligible sponsors for projects located within the region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) boundary area, including Washington County and its cities, Clackamas County and its cities, Multnomah County and its eastern cities, the City of Portland, Oregon Department of Environmental Quality, TriMet, Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT), Port of Portland and Parks and Recreation Districts.
A proposer’s workshop was held on Dec. 10 via Zoom. A recording of the workshop is available here.
Applications are due by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 25, 2022.
Metro Council is anticipated to take action in October 2022 on a final list of projects recommended for funding by JPACT. There are a number of steps in the process leading to this decision.
Schedule for applying and determining funding
Applying for funding
- Call for projects opens: Dec. 1, 2021
- Proposer's workshop: Dec. 10, 2021 at 1 p.m.
- Applications due by 4 p.m.: Feb. 25, 2022
Evaluating and gathering input
- Outcomes evaluation, risk assessment of proposed project: March-April 2022
- Public comment period (30 days): May 2022
Discussion and consideration of options
- TPAC/JPACT briefings, workshops and discussions: June-September 2022
- TPAC recommendation to JPACT: August 2022
Final project selection
- JPACT approval of final project list (RFFA): September 2022
- Staff recommendation (Trails Bond): September 2022
- Metro Council action: October 2022