2020 reservations are closed
Reservations for picnic shelters will open at midnight on May 15, 2021 for reservations starting on July 1, 2021 through the calendar year.
To make a picnic shelter reservation, please call 503-665-4995.
These dates are subject to change. This website will be updated to reflect the most up-to-date information.
How to make a reservation
Take a look at the information below to see if this area fits your needs. Choose some possible dates for your event and call 503-665-4995 or email [email protected] to check availability.
Reservable picnic area
Howell Territorial Park has one picnic area available for reservation year-round. Reservations are required for parties of 25 or more.
House Yard and Grove
- located between the Bybee House and the barn
- area accommodates up to 250 people
- includes use of 14 picnic tables seating up to 120
- rental fee – $450
- 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. 8 a.m. to sunset the rest of the year
- Water: Located in outside spigots at the northeast corner of the house.
- Electricity: None/limited
- Restrooms: Portable restrooms are available on site.
- Parking: Parking is available in the mowed field. Vehicles are permitted within the fenced-in park area (near the barn) only when loading and unloading. The number of vehicles in this area is limited to two.
Beer and/or wine is allowed in designated areas by permit only.
Amplified music or public address systems
Amplified noise or music is not permitted. Only acoustic music is allowed.
Catering and amusement providers
You are welcome to have your picnic or event catered or to rent equipment from a professional amusement provider with the required permit. Personal inflatable equipment, and slip and slides are not allowed. Learn more about caterer and amusement provider guidelines here.
Set-up and clean-up
Peak season rental fees cover an 11-hour period from 8am-7pm. Time for set-up and clean-up must be included in that time. (Set-up includes unloading of food, beverages, tents, tables, chairs, and decorations. Clean-up consists of picking up all litter and trash, and removing all decorations, equipment and supplies).
Sensitivity to wildlife
No pets are allowed. No balloons are allowed. Birdseed and flower petals are allowed; rice is not allowed because it can be fatal to foraging birds and animals.
Care of the park
All gates must be kept closed. Grazing cattle tend to roam. Do not feed or throw anything at cattle in the pastures. Picking fruit in the historically nurtured orchard or flowers from the gardens is not permitted. Ashtrays must be provided at the renter's expense. Horse carriages are only allowed for one drop-off and pick-up (special use permit required). The carriage must stay on the gravel and pavement at all times, and is not allowed to venture onto the grass, garden or open field.
Picnic reservation cancellation and refunds
You will receive a full refund:
- If you cancel your reservation 31 days or more before the reservation.
- If Metro closes the park on the day of the reservation.
You will not receive a refund if you cancel your reservation 30 days or less before the reserved date.
You may reschedule your reservation for a $20 change fee, if you do so at least 7 days before your event, depending on site availability. If you cancel after rescheduling, no refund will be given.